What is Web Hosting Exactly?
Whenever we view a webiste/page,we can do so because browser has downloaded the code and converted the code into something which we can see and understand. [Code —> converted to something which we can see Ex:@Webpages]. This files are stored somewhere and we could access them . Files are saved on Hard drive ,and on other computer (@server).Article will discuss about different Web hosting types and their pros and cons.
Servers also works on operating systems (@linux) and are more powerful than Hard drives on laptop. Servers owners rents it out to the admins/developers of website and also provides additional services like support ,malware ,secutriy, and so on. The person who does it is known as hosting provider.
Example : Go Daddy [Go daddy provides web hosting services to its customers at different rates]
Types of Web Hosting
- Some service providers provide with free web hosting
- This type of hosting is best suited for sites with low traffic (For ex: Blog with less traffic)
- you cannot choose name and hosting services will provide names for you website (Names like –http://www.freepadhle/users/~youexamlple ) Names like this are hard to remember and type.
- Generally, technical options are limited and not provided by hosting provider
- Cheap, Its free
- Good for websites with low traffic(for ex: personal blog)
- No domain names
- database support limited
- Limited Technical support
- Limited security options
- Names are hard to remember and type.
Shared (Virtual) Hosting
Shared hosting are bit expensive than free hosting. Technical options , database support are provided in this type of hosting. Technical supports tends to be good . In this type of hosting Websites are hosted on a powerful server .They are affordable and cost effective
- Cost effective , Low cost
- works well for small businesses and low traffic websites
- Own domain name( Not complex)
- Good support(technical ,Non-technical)
- Restricted Database support
- Restricted software support
- traffic on website should not exceed(traffic volume)
Dedicated hosting hosts a website on a Dedicated server. They are one of the most expensive form of hosting. websites with large traffic are examples for such hosting. They are secure and are advance to their counterparts( Free hosting, Shared hosting)
- Good for site with large traffic
- Goof for large businesses
- provides email solutions and technical support
- provides a good database support
- strong software support
- expensive in nature
- More complex and requires higher skills
collocation means – “co-location”. It allows customers to place their web sites(web-server) on a service provider.[co-location, It allows you to place your web-server ] . It generally cost more than standard web hosting.
- It Provides High Bandwidth
- Provides with unlimited software options
- It Provides with High Security
They are same as of Dedicates hosting :
- More complex and Requires higher skills
- Harder to debug and configure